What is a ``fee simple`` subdivision?

A fee simple subdivision is the most common form of subdivision. It is where 1 or more additional sections are created from a parcel of land. Each new piece of land or section is given its own separate legal title

What is a ``unit title`` subdivision?

The Auckland Unitary plan has made the unit title subdivision option more appealing. There is no density limit for the site so various architectural options are available to maximise the site.

Dwellings can be divided however desired i.e verticall or horizontally, they can sit beside or on top of one another. More traditional terrace type developments can be seperated using fee simple titles with easements.

What is a ``cross-lease`` subdivision?

Cross-lease is a form of shared ownership where all owners have rights and responsibilities to the title. Before any major building work can take place on a cross-lease title, owners must get their cross-lease neighbours’ permission. This type of subdivision isn’t as popular in todays market.

How much land do I need to subdivide?

The Auckland Unitary Plan has opened more opportunities to subdivide into smaller lots (see what is “fee title” & “unit title” subdivision). For a traditional vacant site subdivision the minimum net site areas required is

300sqm – Urban Zone

400 sqm – Suburban Zone

600 sqm – Single House Zone

How do I subdivide my land?

We offer a Turnkey Solution for you. We can take care of everything for you from Feasibility Study through to handing over the keys and everything in between.

How long will the subdivision take?

The subdivision process, from Feasibility Study through LINZ issuing new titles, takes approximately 6 to 8 months. These timings are indicative and based on our experience, but can take longer, depending on earthworks requirements and the council’s workload.

If construction of dwellings is required then there would be additional timeframes. These can be discussed after the building plans have been completed

What is the Auckland subdivision costs?

As every site is unique the cost of subdividing is site specific. We have created an Estimated Cost Matrix to give you a starting point and a guide to Auckland subdivision costs.

We would be in a positions you quote up your subdivision at the end of Step 2. of our Subdivision Process.

How long will the construction take?

Construction time depends on the number of dwellings you want to build and their size. As an estimate allow 3 to 12 months. We can discuss timings once the building plans have been completed.

What is LINZ?

Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) is responsible for providing and maintaining the certainty of private property ownership, by recording survey and land title information and by making this information available to support economic activity.

What is the Auckland Unitary Plan?

The Unitary Plan is the next step in bringing Auckland together. It replaced the existing Regional Policy Statement and 13 district and regional plans in September 2016.

The Unitary Plan will determine:

  • what can be built and where
  • how to create a higher quality and more compact Auckland
  • how to provide for rural activities
  • how to maintain the marine environment
Source: Auckland Council website

What are building consents?

At the beginning of a building project building approval from the local council is required. This Building Consent allows you to carry out work on a property. Applications are usually processed within 20 working days but can take longer if more information is required

What are resource consents?

The types of Resource consent include; land use consent, subdivision consent, tree consent and regional consent. There is also certificate of compliance that gives official recognition that your activity can take place without resource consent.

A certificate of compliance is not mandatory, but it provides protection against future changes for its five-year term. This can be useful when applying for finance for your development.

What is a Code of Compliance Certificate (CCC)?

At the end of a building project the local council will issue a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) if they are satisfied the completed building work complies with the original building consent.

Applications are usually processed within 20 working days. However, as with building consent applications, this time can take longer if your application requires additional inspections, documentation or fees.

What is a LIM report?

A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) report is a summary of the information that the council holds on a property. When you apply for a LIM report off the council it will include special land features or characteristics (including potential erosion, slippage or subsidence) private and public stormwater and sewerage drains any rates that may be owing in relation to the land information concerning building, plumbing/drainage, and resource planning consents, how much the rates are on the property, any special features, where the stormwater and sanitary sewer (or wastewater) drains are, and other important planning information.

Source: Auckland Council website

What is a Council Development Contribution Fee?

Development contributions are fees charged by the council for residential developments. This fee is for the extra community and network infrastructure required as a result of the residential development.

What is a Water Connection Fee?

All new residential developments require a new water and/or wastewater connection. For a new connection it is generally recommend applying at least six weeks in advance of the required the connection date.

What is a Power Connection Fee?

All new residential developments require a new power meter. An Electricity Retailer will install the Meter and Livens the Connection. An Installation Control Point (ICP) must be ready for the address, meters must be installed, and a Certificate of Compliance must be issued and signed by your electrician to certify that the site is electrically safe. For a new connection it is generally recommend applying at least six weeks in advance of the required the connection date. Note: You may require power for the start of the construction.